Skip to main content

Cognac -- Hennessy VSOP -- 200 mL

I wanted to broaden my palate beyond just Whisky and after some Research discovered the delightful world of Brandy's.  There are probably just as many if not more types & brands of Brandy's as there are Whisky's and some of the most famous are the French Cognacs.

There are also several grades starting from lowest:
  1. VS (Very Special)
  2. VSOP (Very Special Old Pale)
  3. XO (Extra Old).
There are several major brands of Cognac and for my initial foray I selected a VSOP from the House of Hennessy (LVMH) for about $18 USD on a 200 mL Bottle.


Initial Reaction
It is flavorful, sweet and a nice nose (fragrance).  In terms of 'taste' its about par with a Johnnie Walker Black, but only half as interesting as a Highland Park 12.

For sweetness, its almost the same as a Macallan 12 and honestly, the viscosity & taste reminded me of the time I added a teaspoon of Maple Syrup to a bad bottle of Macallan 12...the Hennessy VSOP was almost identical in that experience!  Not saying it's a bad thing, but I wasn't anticipating that syrupy viscosity of Cognac.

While, I won't abandon Whisky in favor of Cognac.  I do see it as a welcome way to gain perspective on both types of spirits.  I can appreciate better both a good Blend & Single Malt and at the same time also know in certain conditions when to desire a Cognac.

Second Tasting
Yes, this makes sense as an after dinner drink; a Digestif.  I can't get over the Syrupy consistency.  It's acceptable, but just not something I'm accustomed to having imbibed primarily Whisky's for past few years; but then this is why I wanted to deviate and try something different to compare.

I waited a few days and popped open the Highland Park 12 and yes, I still prefer Whisky for now.  No fault of the Cognac!  I just see the Cognac limited for certain situations and too polite.  I will consider adding a bottle of Cognac to the 12 bottle annual rotation....so 11 Whisky's and 1 Cognac...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Trip# 6 - Waco, Austin, San Antonio

Embarking on a 3 night road trip to Waco, Austin and San Antonio.  Riding in the 2016 Toyota Highlander V6. Planned Itinerary: Day 1 - Monday - Waco, Austin 10:30 am - Dallas to Waco 1 pm - Waco (2.5 hrs drive) 1:15 pm - Magnolia Market 1:30 pm - Lunch - Club Sandwich Food Truck 2:30 pm - Waco to Austin (3 hrs drive) 5:40 pm - Austin 6 pm - Dinner - Ramen Tatsu-ya Day 2 - Tuesday - Austin, San Antonio 7:30 am - Breakfast Hotel 9 am - Umlauf & Downtown 11 am - Domain Shopping Center 12:30 pm - Lunch - Miyo Sushi 1:30 pm - Chi Cha Boba Tea 2:30 pm - Austin to San Antonio (2 hrs drive) 4:30 pm San Antonio 5 pm - Riverwalk Mall 5:30 pm - Dinner - Dave & Buster 6:30 pm - River Walk Day 3 - Wednesday - San Antonio 7:30 am - Breakfast Hotel 9:30 am - Alamo 11 am - River Walk Boat Tour 12:30 pm - Lunch - El Castillo 1:30 pm - River Walk Mall 4:30 pm - Dinner - Ostra 6 pm - River Walk Day 4 - Thursday - Austin, Dallas 7:30 am - Breakfast Hotel 9:30 am - San Antonio to New Braunfels - Bu

Victorinox - Swiss Army Haul 2023 - 10 knives

Did a small haul and got 8 pristine Swiss Army Knives. Fieldmaster x 2 Huntsman x 2 Tinker Delemont Evo Junior 9 - Sold Pruning Knife - Sold Bantam Champion Plus Deluxe Climber I’m now fully stocked on Huntsman and Fieldmasters as I wanted those for my car and backpacks.  Now let’s take inventory of what I have in the collection… I did some adjustments and sold the Delemont and Pruning Knife.  I’ll keep the Bantam, kinda cool knife. Current Collection - 35 knives 111mm - 1 Trekker Black // 2011 91mm - 18 Swiss Champ Red // 2011 Champion Plus Red // 2009 - 2016 Huntsman Silver Tech // 2009 - 2011 Black // 1979 - 1985 Red // 2011 Red // 2011 Camo // 2011 Fieldmaster Red // 2011 Red // 2011 Explorer Red // 1991 - 1992 Deluxe Climber Red // 1992 - 1998 Climber Red // 1979 - 1985 Traveler // 1979 - 1985 Hoffritz // 1985 - 1990 Ruby // 1999 Camper Red // 1999 - 2005 Spartan  Red // 2005 - 2009 Black // 2009 - 2011 Ruby/Sapphire // 2009 - 2011 Tinker Red // 2011 58mm - 10 Classic Classic x7 S

Affordable Wine List - Trader Joes, Costco

I’ve tried enough wines to select a few for my revolving selection.  These are mostly fun, drinkable table wines for an affordable price.  Mostly from Trader Joe’s, Target and Costco. My tastes range from fruit forward slightly sweet reds to dry white wines.  Sometimes I like an earthy GSM or bourdeaux, but typically I prefer nothing too overtly of any taste profile.  I also like variety and mix things up. *BB - Bulk Buy Trader Joe’s Red Wines Rancho Viejo Reserva *BB La Sonriete - Garnache *BB Fruit forward. Campi  Rudi Appassimento Rosso Puglia IGT Passito   *BB Syrupy sweet.  Similar to Meiomi. B by Fonbadet Bourdeaux *BB Revelation - Cabernet Merlot Maison Barboulot - Cabernet Sauvignon & Syrah Sweet. Patroferno Appassimento Puglia Primitivo Sweet. Javier San Pedro Randez - Tempranillo White Wines Revelation - Chardonnay Sweet with slight bitter aftertaste.  Drink first day only. Target Red Wines Meiomi - Pinot Noir Meiomi - Cabernet Sauvignon J Lohr - 7 Oaks - Cabernet Sauvi